Ok, I understand
Cookie Notice: This site uses cookies. For more information, please see our privacy policy.

Hurstbourne Tarrant Parish

"From the Vicar" May 2017

Thy Kingdom Come is a global prayer movement that invites Christians from all over the world to pray between Ascension and Pentecost (25th May to 4th June). Last year was the first year when our two Archbishops invited the Church of England to pray the Novena of prayer for the nine days. It has now gone global and grown into an international and ecumenical call to prayer.

Just Google ‘Thy Kingdom Come’ and you will be able to watch video’s and see all that is happening. We will be starting with our Ascension Day service, but please do read the separate article on Thy Kingdom Come in this magazine.

Prayer is such an important part of our Christian Life, but it can so easily be squeezed out by the busyness of our lives. We therefore have to be a little more disciplined and set aside a few minutes each day to pray. Take a few minutes first thing in the morning; or go for a walk and pray; pray during your commute to work, although probably not if you are driving. Where ever you can just pray. It doesn’t have to be a well-structured or polished prayer, just have a conversation with God and his Son Jesus Christ. But please remember to listen in prayer as well as talking.

There is so much going on in our benefice this year and next, it is going to be such an exciting time, that we really need now to start to pray about what God wants us to do. We as a church are not doing God’s mission, we are joining with God in his mission in this place and so we need to pray to find out what God’s mission is, then join in. The rest of this year, eight months, will be our time for prayer both as individuals and coming together as a church. Early next year we will then start looking at what God has been telling us and start planning how we can join in with his plans.

Throughout the rest of the year we will be having some events to help us starting with Thy Kingdom Come. We will also be looking to celebrate our Patronal Festivals, the day when our patron saints celebration is, St Peter for Hurstbourne Tarrant and Linkenholt, St Mary the Virgin for Vernham Dean and St Barnabas for Faccombe.

What I do know is that all of what we will be able to achieve will be done by our collective efforts and not just those of a few people. So start praying, start building that relationship with Jesus and don’t be afraid to ask me if you need any help.

Let us start by praying for each other. You are in my prayers.
God bless you
Trevor